Point of Care Ultrasound (POCUS)
The focus of the workshop is to teach practitioners how the point of care ultrasound can facilitate acute care management, both for adults and pediatrics.
The 2-day course will include a combination of lectures and hands-on training using patient volunteers and phantom limbs. The simulation-based training will provide practical “hands-on” training and a structured approach to point of care ultrasonography. This will enable learners to become more self-confident and proficient in ultrasound and will provide the opportunity to practice difficult and potentially dangerous procedures without placing patients at risk.
- Describe the principles of ultrasound operation, use of artifacts, and optimization of images.
- Conquer ultrasound equipment knobology and pitfalls.
- Explore various ultrasound equipment units in detail and learning transducer handling with systematic exercises.
- Master ultrasonography of clinically relevant vessels of the neck and extremities.
- List indications and rationale for focused diagnostic ultrasound applications for cardiac, lung, and abdominal applications.
- Perform basic cardiac evaluation (gross ventricular function, gross valve evaluation and tamponade evaluation.
- Perform airway and pulmonary ultrasound (assessment of ETT location, evaluation for pneumothorax and assessment of severe air space disease)
- Perform abdominal ultrasound (assessment of gastric volume and FAST – Focused Assessment with Sonography in Trauma)
- Perform hemodynamic ultrasound (evaluation of volume status and central venous pressure, shock assessment)
- Explain the rationale for using ultrasound guidance for thoracentesis, paracentesis, and vascular access.
- Understand the basics of nerve blocks and neuraxial by ultrasound.
Anesthesiologists, Pediatricians, Internal medicine physicians, Critical Care, Emergency Department/Trauma Physicians, Surgeons, Intensivists, Cardiologists, Fellows and Residents R2 and above involved in acute care.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes